7. John COX
Source of birth, marriage, and children is Ancestors and Descendants of Jehu Cox by Wayne D. Stout.
John Cox came to America with his parents in 1708. We do not know where they lived in England - probably from some Quaker community. John was born about 1685 which means he was about 22 on arrival. It is believed the group landed at Newcastle, Delaware where they lived for a season. Later the family moved to Kennett, Chester County, Pennsylvanie, a Quaker Center. This was their residence for about ten years. During that period John Cox Senior died, 1711. We have no idea when his wife Rachel passed away.
Source of marriage and death: The Parrish Family, Susanna Parrish Wharton, 1925, p 288.
Third Generation - John Cox, b. 1683, d. aged 44 years in Rancocas. At a Monthly Meeting held at abington 9/25/1717, "Whereas John Cox and Jane Phillips having declared their intention of marriage before two Meetings and inquiry being made by persons appointed and found clear from all othrs on ye account of marriage, Did accomplish their marriage in ye Unity of Friends, as signified by their marriage certificate."
Source of marriage and children and their spouses: Ray Cox, NGC, 1993.
RUDDICK FAMILY IN AMERICA by John W Hanneman 1993 Oakland, CA
"John Cox. son of John and Rachel, was born in England about 1686. It is possible that he first married Ann Bright or Hall. On Apr. 7, 1713 he purchased 200 acres in Kennett Twp from Nicholas Pyle. John's second wife was apparently Hannah Jenkins, whom he married on November 5, 1720. She was a mamber of the Jenkins family of South Wales MM in Tenby, Pembroke, Wales som of whom came to Pennsylvania in the 1680's. The Cox's were members of London Grove MM and they lived in Kennett Twp., Chester Co., where John was appointed Constable in 1728. After Hannah's death, John married (about 1731) Mary (Garretson?).
On May 9, 1735, John Cox entered a grant of 150 acres of land in Huntington Twp, Lancaster (later York) Co,Pennsylvannia. This is now within the boundries of Adams Co. However, the family did not relocate immediately, as John was appointed Overseer of the Poor in Kennett Twp in 1736. It was probably the following year (John Cox sold his land to one Thomas Bryan in 1737) in which they moved to their new home and here we find two more land entries in the name of John Cox; for 400 acres on 22 Nov. 1740 and for 200 acres on 9 Nov, 1743. One of these was probably John Jr. The family was soon accepted at Sadsbury MM but since this meeting was quite a distance away, Newberry MM and Warrington MM were established a few years later.
John died about 1752 and Mary then took her youngest children to Kennett where they attended Newark MM. On May 5, 1753, the widow Cox received a certificate of removal to Cane Creek MM in Orange Co, NC. They were accepted at that place on Oct. 6. Some researchers suggest that John was still alive and made the move with his family, but I believe this to be incorrect. Children: all are (Cox)
1. Richard?; b. ca 1707. ca 1707. m (1) Oct. 15, 1726, Elizabeth Scarlet. m(2) Mary--. moved to Warrington MM ca. 1737. Res. there 1762. ch; Rebecca, Elizabeth, Nathaniel, others.
2. child; b. ca. 1710.
3. Hall?; b. ca. 1713.
4. John; b. ca. 1715. m. Aug. 9, 1735, Mary Harlan (d/o Moses). moved to Warrington MM ca. 1737, then to Orange Co., NC 1755, but later returned to PA. Ch; Dinah 1735, Jacob 1737, John, Rebecca, others.
5. Robert?; b. ca. 1717. d. before 1771, Warrington MM.
6. Sarah; b. ca. 1721. m. Aug. 24, 1745, Nicholas Wierman (s/o William). res. Warrington MM.
*7. Ann; b. ca. 1723. m William Ruddick See sketch
*8. Samuel; b. ca. 1725. m. Aug. 22, 1747, Hannah Wierman (d/o William). moved from Warrington MM to NC 1757. d. ca 1796, Randolph Co., NC. Ch: Harmon,
Jesse (m. Miss Bedsaul), Samuel 1754 (m. Martha Cox), Henry, Gertrude (m. Enoch Cox), Katherine, Nicholas, Rebecca, Elisha 1767, John 1770, Hannah.
9. William; b. ca 1727. m. 1747/8, Naomi Garretson (1st cousin). res. York Co., PA. Ch: Joshua, Ruth.
10. Amy; b. Sept. 27, 1729. m. June. 28, 1750/3, William Wierman (s/o William). res. Huntington MM, York Co., PA.
11. Benjamin; b. ca. 1732. m. 1750/1, Martha Garretson (1st cousin). moved to Holly Spring MM, Guilford Co., NC 1759. d. 1817. Ch: Benjamin, Amy, 1758, Ruth, John, Jeremiah 1763, Joseph, William 1761.
12. Hannah; b. ca. 1734. m. 1752, Daniel Winter.
13. Ruth; b. ca. 1736. m. Solomon Cox (1st cousin). moved to NC, then to Coal Creek, Grayson Co., VA. d. ca. 1805, OH. Ch: Enoch, Samuel, Mary, Solomon 1762, Joseph, Ruth 1767, William, Jesse.
14. Thomas; b. ca. 1738. m. 1757, Martha Jenkins. d. 1771, Holly Spring MM, NC. Ch: Thomas, Joshua 1760, Daniel 1762, John, Abner, Sarah, Martha.
15. Solomon; b. ca. 1740. m. 1759/60, Naomi Hussey (d/o) Christopher and Ann (Garretson) Hussey). Moved from NC to Grayson Co., VA, then to TN. res. Knox Co., KY. 1801/2. d. ca. 1820, Monroe Co., IN. Ch: Martha 1761 (m. Samuel Cox),
Solomon 1761, Mary (m. Thomas Mahan), Ann, Absolom, Christopher, Thomas 1775 (m. Rachel Carr), Ruth (m. Jopseph Johnson), Naomi 1779 (m. Thomas McMahon?), Stephen1779, Nathan 1781."