The old Branson Cemetery was
located on the west bank of the Mississinewa River near the home
where this pioneer family lived. By the time the county was
organized there were four Branson men living in it - David and
his two sons, Thomas and Nathan, and Jacob who settled on what
was later known as the Joel Overman farm. Nathan built a cabin in
the fall of 1827 on the present site of the Spencer House.
David's home was up the river and just beyond the McFeely Bridge.
His daughter, Charity, is said to have been the first person in
the county to die. This was in the fall of 1826. Where she was
buried we do not know but it may be a safe guess to say it was in
what has been called for so many years the Branson Graveyard.
"The Branson Family
burial ground was along the river bank near their home and
because the spot was unmarked and had become a commons, Nathan
Coggshall, Lewis Foster and David Overman asked the County
Commissioners to protect the spot from the encroachments of the
public by erecting a marker and enclosing the same with an iron
fence. The sum of $200. was expended in that way. The river
channel has changed and some believe the Branson graves are
washed away but the marker is near the site."
The above was written in the
1940's. This cemetery is located in the incorporated city limits
of Marion, Indiana. The graves of the Branson family are located
in Center Twp.24 N R. 8 E. in Section 8 along the banks of the
Mississinewa River. The street that runs arallel with the river
in this area is Lincoln Blvd., in about the 900 block. No one
knows exactly where the graves are located in this area, except
one which is only inches from thestreet. This is a concrete
covered grave of John A. Collins 1887 - 1930. He is a descendent
of David Branson. Years ago there was a wrought iron fence
surrounding this little plot. But it is long gone now. On one
side is an abandoned fire station, the city is now using for a
bus barn, and the other side is a private residence. Someone has
recently put up a small wooden fence to keep city workers from
parking on the site. There is a rusty sign next to the street,
with this inscription on it.
Built home on this site 1826. His donation of one half
the land for original town plat made possible the
founding of Marion as county seat in 1832."